Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reflective Essay


My first three or four months in being a college student seem quite stressful for me. At the very first meeting of our ENGLCOM class with Ms. Mylene Manalansan and Dr. Ariane Borlongan I have set goals that I need to accomplish through the first semester of my college life. Way back in High School I am this student who always hate English, so it is a big challenge for me this college because in my program the skills and knowledge in English is badly needed. Since I am in the college of liberal arts wide vocabulary and proper use of subject and verb tenses are demanded. At first I expected that I am going to have a hard time in my classes especially in English.
         During the midterm part of the first semester I am starting to feel comfortable and easy in my English class. Slowly but surely I am beginning to slowly feel that I am achieving my set goals. If you are going to ask me if was able to achieve my goals that I set for grammar and reading I would definitely say yes. I have three good reasons why I was able to say that I have achieved my goals in reading and grammar. First is that I have already learned new vocabulary words which is one weak part of my arsenal. Second is that I have found a new technique in writing essays properly like avoiding comma splices, proper use of punctuation marks, and proper citation of sources in academic writing. Lastly I was able to appreciate English who has been tormenting my mind ever since because of its complications. Though English make my mind fumbles, I will still do my best to conquer it.

Ever since that I have an English subject the simplest thing that I still need to improve is my vocabulary skills. In fact, just this July we had a quiz about perfect synonimity and vocabulary and out of 45 items I just got 26. See this is how bad my vocabulary skill is. It’s been years since I began studying English but up to now I don’t have the initiative to read books to discover some unfamiliar words and look its meaning in the dictionary. This problem of mine does not only applies in my reading subject but it also affects my writing competencies in a way that I keep on using the same verbs again and again in writing essays or reflections.
I also learn that grammar, mechanics, word choice, and reading are very fragile and sensitive in studying the English subject. It is fragile in a way that in grammar you must be aware and observant about what you are saying and writing because when you commit a mistake in grammar the meaning of the lines you are saying may differ on the real meaning on what the speaker is saying. Errors in grammar are made not only through speaking but also in writing. In fact just outside your house there are so many signboards that contain error in grammar. When we talk about mechanics and word choice the most common errors on these two is the wrong use of words, redundancy, capitalization, and punctuations that causes confusion in your grammar both in speaking and in writing. Reading and writing is also a vital part because one should understand what he or she is reading and know what the writers’ point of view is because when you read you must put into your hearts the meaning of every line to fully understand the message of the book or article you are reading and the essays you are writing.
Overall I think the course has helped me a lot in improving those weaknesses of mine because now I feel comfortable in my English subject and I hope that I can continue this run throughout my entire stay in college.

No comments:

Post a Comment